Melissa Jane FULLWOOD

Despite remarkable progress towards personalized human genome sequencing, much about the human genome remains unknown. Only 2% of the human genome codes for protein, yet many studies suggest that the remaining 98% may have non-coding functions and may be related to disease. Recently, tremendous advances in DNA sequencing throughput, speed, and cost have been made by next-generation sequencing, allowing the development of new genomic technologies for powerful ultra-high-throughput, genome-wide annotation of genomic elements. Towards this aim, the Fullwood lab focuses on human genome annotation, transcriptome characterization, and understanding transcription regulation, to promote human personal genomics. One of the uses of personal genomics is in better understanding cancer, which may lead to the development of better therapies with reduced side effects and novel biomarkers. Towards this end, we are focusing on genomic annotation of gastric and other cancer cell lines.

Principal Investigator, Cancer Science Institute of Singapore, National University of Singapore
Nanyang Assistant Professor, School of Biological Sciences, Nanyang Technological University
Joint Principal Investigator, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, A*STAR Singapore

Year(s) Degree (if applicable) Institute
2009 Ph.D. National University of Singapore, Singapore
2005 B.Sc.(Hons) Stanford University, USA
2010 – 2012 Lee Kuan Yew Post-Doctoral Fellow, A*STAR-Duke-NUS NRP
2011 – 2012 Adjunct Research Fellow, Department of Biochemistry, National University of Singapore
2011 – 2012 Adjunct Post-Doctoral Fellow, Genome Institute of Singapore
2009 – 2010 Post-Doctoral Fellow, Duke-NUS
2009 Research Fellow, Genome Institute of Singapore
2005 – 2006 Research Officer, Genome Institute of Singapore
2014 A*STAR/SNAS Young Scientist Award
2013 National Research Foundation (NRF) Fellowship
2011 A*STAR Phillip Yeo Prize for Outstanding Achievement in Research (Biomedical)
2010 Regional Winner (International), GE & Science Prize for Young Life Scientists
2010 Lee Kuan Yew Post-Doctoral Fellowship
2009 L’Oreal-UNESCO for Women in Science Singapore National Fellowship
2006 A*STAR National Science Scholarship (A*STAR NSS PhD)
2005 Phi Beta Kappa
2002 A*STAR National Science Scholarship (A*STAR NSS BS)