HLA-TW Internship Award
Young minds benefit from exposure to diverse environments. Encouraging mobility of young investigators during the early scientific training period helps shape their identities later in their careers. While being exposed to research cultures different from their own, young investigators learn to present themselves to the new environments. In order to encourage this level of mobility and exposure, a Taiwanese husband and wife team based in Singapore (SG), Dr Ruby Huang and Dr Allen Lai, have set up the HLA-TW Internship Award. HLA-TW provides financial support for young students from higher education institutes in Taiwan to present themselves to the biomedical and life science arena through an internship/research attachment in Cancer Science Institute of Singapore (CSI). Taking the first letters of their last names as the title of the award, HLA coincides with the acronym of human leukocyte antigen (HLA). HLA is a class of molecules that is important in antigen presentation to the immune system. It is unique to individuals and it distinguishes self from non-self. Therefore, HLA-TW provides opportunities for each outstanding young student from TW (Taiwan) to present himself/herself to a dynamic research community in SG.
Vision: This internship scholarship encourages the mobility of young students from Taiwanese higher education institutes seeking broader exposure to diverse research environments outside of Taiwan. It also offers these students opportunities to pursue graduate studies in biomedical research abroad.
Objective: The 2-month internship at CSI, NUS allows students to learn new techniques from the PIs at CSI. It also exposes students to the research environment at CSI through research meetings, lab meetings and seminars, which will motivate the students towards a positive outlook of overseas studies.
Award Criteria: The candidate must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for the scholarship.
- The candidate must be a current student registered at a recognised higher education institute in Taiwan and have completed at least two semesters (one full year) of college/university level at the time of internship. The candidate must continue to assume this status throughout his/her intended duration of internship at CSI, NUS.
- The candidate is not required to be of Taiwanese citizenship.
- The award is limited to candidates who are from 20 to 30 years of age at the point of internship at CSI.
- The candidate must obtain his/her institute’s endorsement at the point of application to this scholarship.
Award Entitlement: The candidate will be awarded a scholarship with a nett amount of SGD$4,000. The scholarship will cover the costs of travel, local accommodation, Training Employment Pass application fees and allowance during the internship.
Application process: To apply, applicants will need to provide the following documents:
- Completed and signed HLA-TW Application Form
- Latest CV indicating past experience in biomedical or life science research
- Self-motivation letter
- Copy of Passport page showing students’ particulars, with an expiry date that is valid 6 months from the date of completion of internship at NUS, CSI.
- Official Academic Transcript(s), including the grade legend issued by the Home University (with English translation, if applicable). Only original or certified true copies of the academic transcripts of degree programs currently in progress will be accepted. The transcript must be endorsed with the university’s seal and official signatory
- (i) Letter from Home University certifying that applicant is a current student registered with the Home University, (ii) endorsing the applicant’s overseas internship at NUS, CSI.
- Copy of TOEFL/IELTS – for applicants who are from non-English medium universities.
- Two referee letters to be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Submission of Application: The applications for HLA-TW Internship Award – July/Sept opens from 1 December 2017 to 28 February 2018. Complete applications and supporting documents in soft copy must reach email@example.com by 28 February 2018.
Outcome of Application
Applicants for the July/Sep Internship will be notified of the outcome by 18 May 2018.