Dr Chin is a medical oncologist with a clinical interest in thoracic oncology, especially non-smoking related non-small cell lung cancers (NSCLC). Her research interest lies in EGFR mutant NSCLC, and she has conducted both bench, as well as translational and clinical studies in this area.
Dr Chin is a medical oncologist with a clinical interest in thoracic oncology, especially non-smoking related non-small cell lung cancers (NSCLC). Her research interest lies in EGFR mutant NSCLC, and she has conducted both bench, as well as translational and clinical studies in this area. Her research is mainly focused on two areas- the first, pathogenesis of EGFR mutant cancers, given its predisposition in Asian non-smoking women. We are studying if hormonal influence may play a role in the pathogenesis of these cancers. The second focus of research is in optimizing treatment of EGFR mutant cancers, and delaying/ reversing the acquisition of acquired resistance to EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitors.
In collaboration with Massachusetts General Hospital, we have conducted a clinical trial of treating NSCLC patients with sensitizing EGFR mutations with Gefitinib and Hydroxychloroquine, to determine if the progression free survival on Gefitinib can be prolonged. The phase II study has now completed accrual, and biomarkers that may predict response and resistance are currently being studied. Our preliminary studies show that circulating free tumor DNA can be detected in the blood of these patients, and serial blood studies of patients on EGFR TKI therapy may provide useful information about clinical response and progression. Bench studies are also focused on elucidating mechanisms of acquired resistance to EGFR TKI in NSCLC.
- Muhammed Murtaza, Sarah-Jane Dawson, Dana W. Y. Tsui, Davina Gale, Tim Forshew, Anna M. Piskorz, Christine Parkinson, Suet-Feung Chin, Zoya Kingsbury, Alvin S. C. Wong, Francesco Marass, Sean Humphray, James Hadfield, David Bentley, Tan Min Chin, James D. Brenton, Carlos Caldas & Nitzan Rosenfeld. Noninvasive analysis of acquired resistance to cancer therapy by exome sequencing of plasma DNA. Nature. Accepted- in press- Published April 7th 2013.
- Makoto Sudo, Tan Min Chin, Seiichi Mori, Ngan B. Doan, Jonathan W. Said, Makoto Akashi, H. Phillip Koeffler. Inhibiting proliferation of gefitinib-resistant, non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology 2013 March (online publication)
- B. Pang, D. Matthias, C. W. Ong, A. N. Dhewar, S. Gupta, G. L. Lim, M. E. Nga, J. E. Seet, A. Qasim, T. M. Chin, R. Soo, R. Soong, M. Salto-Tellez.The positive impact of cytological specimens for EGFR mutation testing in non-small cell lung cancer: a single South East Asian laboratory’s analysis of 670 cases. Cytopathology. 2012 Aug;23(4):229-36.
- Ng KP, Hillmer AM, Chuah CT, Juan WC, Ko TK, Teo AS, Ariyaratne PN, Takahashi N, Sawada K, Fei Y, Soh S, Lee WH, Huang JW, Allen JC Jr, Woo XY, Nagarajan N, Kumar V, Thalamuthu A, Poh WT, Ang AL, Mya HT, How GF, Yang LY, Koh LP, Chowbay B, Chang CT, Nadarajan VS, Chng WJ, Than H, Lim LC, Goh YT, Zhang S, Poh D, Tan P, Seet JE, Ang MK, Chau NM, Ng QS, Tan DS, Soda M, Isobe K, Nöthen MM, Wong TY, Shahab A, Ruan X, Cacheux-Rataboul V, Sung WK, Tan EH, Yatabe Y, Mano H, Soo RA, Chin TM, Lim WT, Ruan Y, Ong ST. A common BIM deletion polymorphism mediates intrinsic resistance and inferior responses to tyrosine kinase inhibitors in cancer. Nat Med Nat Med. 2012 Mar 18
- Wang LZ, Lim MY, Chin TM, Thuya WL, Nye PL, Wong A, Chan SY, Goh BC, Ho PC. Rapid determination of gefitinib and its main metabolite, O-desmethyl gefitinib in human plasma using liquid -chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2011 Jul 15;879(22):2155-61. Epub 2011 Jun 12.
- Wang LZ, Ong RY, Chin TM, Thuya WL, Wan SC, Wong AL, Chan SY, Ho PC, Goh BC. Method development and validation for rapid quantification of hydroxychloroquine in human blood using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2012 Mar 5; 61:86-92. Epub 2011 Dec 8.
- YK Zee. Chin TM, A Wong. Fatal cystic change of brain metastases after response to geftinib in non-small cell lung cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology Oct 2009
- Wong AS, Soong R, Seah SB, Chin TM, Ross Soo. Evidence for Disease Control with Erlotinib after Gefitinib Failure in typical Gefitinib-Sensitive Asian Patients withNon-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Journal of thoracic oncology 2008. April 3 (4): 400-4.
- Chin TM, M Quinlan, A Singh, Lecia V. Sequist, Thomas J Lynch, Daniel Haber, Sreenath V. Sharma, and Jeffrey Settleman. Reduced erlotinib sensitivity of EGFR mutant non-small cell lung cancer following cisplatin exposure:A cell culture model of second-line erlotinib treatment. Clin Canc Res 2008; 14 (21) 6867-6876.
- Chin TM, D Anuar, R Soo, Manuel Salto-Tellez, WQ Li, B Ahmad, SC Lee, BC Goh, Kazauki Kawakami, B Iacopetta, R Soong. Detection of epidermal growth factor variations by partially denaturing HPLC. Clin Chem 2007. 53:1
|Name||CHIN Tan Min|
|Affiliations||Specialist, Medical Oncology, Raffles Cancer Centre
Principal Associate, Cancer Science Institute of Singapore
|Institute||Degree (if applicable)||Year(s)|
|National University of Singapore||MBBS||1997|
|Royal College of Physicians||MRCP (UK)||2002|
|•||Specialist, Medical Oncology, Raffles Cancer Centre||2017 – present|
|•||Principle Associate, Cancer Science Institute of Singapore, NUS||2013 – present|
|•||Senior Consultant, Dept of Hematology-Oncology, NCIS||2008 – 2017|
|•||Research Fellow, Massachusetts General Hospital||2006 – 2007|
To identify genes/pathways conferring acquired resistance in NSCLC. Currently working with Dr Chin Tan Min on the above project.