Prof Jean-Paul Thiery’s focus of research is to unravel the mechanisms of invasion and metastasis of carcinoma cells. His seminal contributions in the study of bladder carcinoma have led to the discovery of molecular mechanisms governing the formation of superficial or invasive tumors. His current studies involve oncogenomics and functional approaches to characterise breast carcinoma basal subtypes and ovarian carcinoma. Prof Thiery is also known for his studies on mechanochemistry of cell adhesion and migration and for his work on the ontogeny of neural crest.
The Ovarian Cancer Research Programme is aimed to utilize systems approaches in both in vitro and in vivo preclinical models to achieve translational needs for novel diagnostic and therapeutic strategies. This Programme is jointly led by Jean Paul Thiery and Ruby Yun-Ju Huang. The current area of investigation in our laboratory is to understand the contribution of epithelial plasticity in cancer “stemness”, tumour progression and therapeutic responses and to decipher the regulatory mechanisms behind it. The ultimate goal is to achieve personalized medicine in the diagnosis and treatment for ovarian cancer patients.
- Tan T.Z., Huang R.Y.H , Miow Q.H., Wong M.K.,Ye J., Lau J.A., Wu M.C., Bin Abdul Hadi L.H., Soong R., Choolani M , Ben Davidson B., Nesland J., Matsumura N., Mandai M., Konishi I., Chang J.T., Thiery J.P*., S. Mori (2012) A Molecular Classification Scheme of Ovarian Serous Adenocarcinoma To Explore Novel Therapeutic Strategies. EMBO Mol Med in press *CoPI
- Bidard, FC, Pierga, JY, Soria, JC and Thiery, JP (2013) A clinical perspective on the metastatic process. Nat Rev Clin Onc. Epub
- Laiyi L, Chu YS Thiery JP Lim CT and I Rodriguez (2013) Microfluidic cell trap array for controlled positioning of single cells on adhesive micropatterns. Lab On Chip Epub.
- Chua KN, Sim WJ, Racine V, Shi Yl, Goh BC and JP Thiery (2012) A Cell-Based Small Molecule Screening Method for Identifying Inhibitors of Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition in Carcinoma..PLoS One Epub
- Voon DC, Wang H, Koo JKW, NguyenTAP, Hor YT, Chu YS, Ito K, Fukamachi H, Shing Chan SK, Thiery JP* and Y Ito. (2012) Runx3 protects gastric epthelium against epithelial-mesenchymal transition induced cellular plasticity and tumorigenicity. Stem Cells Epub *CopI
- Toh B., X. Wang, J. Keeble, W. J. Sim ,K. Khoo,M. Kato, A. Prevost-Blondel J.P. Thiery* and J.P. Abastado.(2011) Mesenchymal transition and dissemination of cancer cells is driven by myeloid-derived suppressor cells infiltrating the primary tumor. PloS Biology Epub *CoPI
- Martinez-Rico C, Pincet F., Thiery JP*. and Dufour S.(2010). Integrins stimulate E-cadherin-mediated intercellular adhesion by regulating Src kinase activation and actomyosin contractility. J.Cell. Science 123: 712-722.*CoPI
- Thiery JP, Acloque H, Huang YJH and Nieto A. (2009) Epithelial-mesenchymal transitions in development and disease. Cell 139: 871-890.
- Taddei I, Deugnier MA, Faraldo MM, Petit V, Bouvard D, Medina D, Fässler R,Thiery JP* and Glukhova MA.(2008) beta1integrin deletion from the basal compartment of the mammary epithelium affects stem cells. Nat Cell Biol 10: 716-722.*CoPI
- Bollet MA, Servant N., Neuvial P., Decraene C., Lebigot I., Meyniel JP., De Rycke Y., Savignoni A., Rigaill G., Fourquet A., Sigal-Safrani B.,Barillot E., Thiery JP (2008) High resolution mapping of DNA breakpoints to define true recurrences among ipsilateral breast cancers. J. Natl. Cancer. Inst. 100:48-58.
|Affiliations||Senior Principal Investigator, Cancer Science Institute of Singapore, NUS
Principal Investigator, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, A*STAR
|Institute||Degree (if applicable)||Year(s)|
|University Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg (France)||1964 – 1970|
|Mathematics-Physics-Chemistry Competitive examination, Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Chimie de Strasbourg||1965|
|Crystallography, General Chemistry, Mineral Chemistry, Experimental Physics||1966|
|Organic Chemistry, Industrial Chemistry, General Chemistry||1967|
|Masters in Physical Chemistry Engineering Diploma in Chemistry (Ecole Nationale Supérieure Chimie Strasbourg), placed first in the year.||1968|
|Diploma Organic Chemistry of Natural Substances||1968|
|Doctorat d’Etat Thesis, Institut Jacques Monod, Paris||1974|
|•||Senior Principal Investigator, Cancer Science Institute of Singapore, National University of Singapore||2008 – Present|
|•||Principal Investigator , Institute of Molecular Cell Biology (IMCB), A*STAR||2007 – Present|
|•||Chief Scientific Officer, Experimental Therapeutic Centre, A*STAR||2007 – Present|
|•||Adjunct Professor of Pathology, National University of Singapore||2007 – Present|
|•||Deputy Director, Institute of Molecular Cell Biology (IMCB), A*STAR||2007 – 2011|
|•||Director Department of Translational Research – Medical division Institut Curie||2003 – 2006|
|•||Scientific Officer Ministry of Research and Technology||2003 – 2006|
|•||Director of Research CNRS Exceptional Class||1999|
|•||Director of the laboratory of ‘Subcellular Structure and Cellular Dynamics’ of the CNRS and the Institut Curie, Paris||1995 – 2003|
|•||Director of Research CNRS First Class||1989|
|•||Director of the Laboratory of Physiopathology of Development of the CNRS and Ecole Normale Supérieure, Paris||1987 – 1994|
|•||Director of Research CNRS, Institute of Embryology, Nogent sur Marne, France||1982 – 1987|
|•||Senior Research Associate CNRS, Institute of Embryology, CNRS and the Collège de France, Nogent sur Marne, France||1978 – 1982|
|•||Research Associate, The Rockefeller University, New York||1977|
|•||Fogarty Postdoctoral Fellowship (NIH)||1976|
|•||Fellow of the International Center for Cancer Research, Lyon, France||1975|
|•||Postdoctoral fellow, laboratory of Professor Gerald M. Edelman, The Rockefeller University, New York||1975 – 1977|
|•||Research position, CNRS, Institut Jacques Monod, Paris||1970 – 1974|
|•||Research position at the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS) in the laboratory of Dr. Bernardi, Institute of Macromolecular Substances, Strasbourg, France||1968 – 1970|