Experimental Therapeutics/Phase I oncology trials
Prof Goh leads a clinical research team that studies novel drugs for treatment of cancer. These studies are designed to define clinical pharmacology, and to determine anticancer effects. In addition, a laboratory group he leads is involved with studies to optimise combination of molecular pathway inhibitors for cancer treatment with the intent to translate these findings to clinical trials.
Prof Goh’s research group active investigates pharmacogenetics in the context of understanding ethnic and geographical factors that influence cancer drug effects. The hypothesis is that though intercontinental population variability of genetic polymorphisms form a small fraction of total interindividual variability, gene variants that affect drug disposition and receptor function may have large enough effects to account for ethnic or geographic differences in drug action. This would likely be clinically relevant for cancer drugs, which generally have narrow therapeutic windows.
- Winnie Yeo, Hyun Cheol Chung, Stephen L. Chan, Lingzhi Z. Wang, Robert Lim, Joel Picus, Michael Boyer, Frankie K.F. Mo, Jane Koh, Sun Y. Rha, Edwin P. Hui, Hei C. Jeung, Jae K. Roh, Simon C.H. Yu, Ka F. To, Qian Tao, Brigette B. Ma, Anthony W.H. Chan, Joanna H.M. Tong, Charles Erlichman, Anthony T.C. Chan, and Boon C. Goh. Epigenetic Therapy Using Belinostat for Patients With Unresectable Hepatocellular Carcinoma: A Multicenter Phase I/II Study With Biomarker and Pharmacokinetic Analysis of the Mayo Phase II Consortium and the Cancer Therapeutics Research Group. J Clin Oncol 2012;30(27):3361-7.
- BC Goh, Reddy NJ, Dandamudi U, Laubscher KH, Peckham T, Hodge JP, Suttle AB, Arumugham T, Xu Y, Xu CF, Lager J, Dar MM, Lewis LD. An Evaluation of the Drug Interaction Potential of Pazopanib, Using a Modified Cooperstown 5+1 Cocktail in Patients with Advanced Solid Tumors. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2010;88(5):652-9.
- Chiung-Ing Wong, Tong-San Koh, Ross Soo, Septian Hartono, Choon-Hua Thng, Evelyn McKeegan, Wei-Peng Yong, Chien-Shing Chen, Soo-Chin Lee, John Wong, Robert Lim, Norita Sukri, Siew-Eng Lim, Ai-Bee Ong, Joyce Steinberg, Neeraj Gupta, Rajendra Pradhan, Rod Humerickhouse, Boon-Cher Goh. Phase I and biomarker study of ABT-869, a multiple receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor, in patients with refractory solid malignancies. J Clin Oncol 2009;27(28):4718.
- Wen-Son Hsieh, Ross Soo, Bee-Keow Peh,Thomas Loh, Difeng Dong, Donny Soh, Lim-Soon Wong, Simon Green, Judy Chiao, Chun-Ying Cui, Yoke-Fong Lai, Soo-Chin Lee, Benjamin Mow, Richie Soong, Manuel Salto-Tellez, Boon-Cher Goh. Pharmacodynamic effects of seliciclib, an orally administered cell cycle modulator, in undifferentiated nasopharyngeal cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2009;15(4):1435-42.
- Tham LS, Goh BC, Nafziger A, Guo JY, Wang LZ, Soong R, Lee SC. A warfarin-dosing model in Asians that uses single-nucleotide polymorphisms in vitamin K epoxide reductase complex and cytochrome P450 2C9. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2006;80(4):346-455.
- Soo-Chin Lee, Swee-Siang Ng, Johannes Oldenburg, Pei-Yi Chong, Simone Rost, Jia-Yi Guo, Hui-Ling Yap, Sheila Clare Rankin, Hui-Boon Khor, Tiong-Cheng Yeo, Kheng-Siang Ng, Richie Soong, Boon-Cher Goh. Inter-ethnic variability of warfarin maintenance requirement is explained by vkorc1 genotype in an Asian population. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2006;79(3):197-205.
- Anthony T.C. Chan, Mow-Ming Hsu, Boon C. Goh, Edwin P. Hui, Tsang-Wu Liu, Michael J. Millward, Ruey-Long Hong, Jacqueline Whang-Peng, Brigette B.Y. Ma, Ka F. To, Matthias Mueser, Nadia Amellal, Xiao Lin, Alex Y. Chang. A multi-center, phase II study of cetuximab in combination with carboplatin in patients with recurrent or metastatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma. J Clin Oncol 2005;23(15):3568-76.
- Feng ZHAO, Celine LOKE, Sheila Clare RANKIN,Jia-Yi GUO, How Sung LEE, Tuck Seng WU, Theresa TAN, Te-Chih LIU, Wan-Liang LU, Yean-Teng LIM, Qiang ZHANG, Boon Cher GOH, Soo Chin LEE. Novel CYP2C9 genetic variants in Asians and their influence on maintenance warfarin dose. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2004;76:210.
- Boon-Cher Goh, Soo-Chin Lee, Ling-Zhi Wang, Lu Fan, Jia-Yi Guo, Jatinder Lamba, Erin Schuetz, Robert Lim, Hong-Liang Lim, Ai-Bee Ong, How-Sung Lee.Explaining inter-individual variability of docetaxel pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics in asians through phenotyping and genotyping strategies. J Clin Oncol 2002;20:3683-3690.
- Goh BC, Ratain MJ, Smith R, Bertucci D, Mani S, Vogelzang NJ, et al. Phase I study of ZD9331 using a 5-day short infusion schedule. J Clin Oncol 2001;19:1476-1484
|Name||GOH Boon Cher|
|Affiliations||Deputy Director, Cancer Science Institute of Singapore, NUS
Programme Leader and Senior Principal Investigator, Cancer Science Institute of Singapore, NUS
Deputy Director (Research), National University Cancer Institute, Singapore (NCIS), NUHS
|Institute||Degree (if applicable)||Year(s)|
|Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery||MBBS||1989|
|Master of Medicine (Internal Medicine with Gold Medal)||M.Med (Int)||1994|
|•||Deputy Director, Cancer Science Institute of Singapore, National University of Singapore||2008 – Present|
|•||Programme Leader and Senior Principal Investigator, Cancer Science Institute of Singapore, National University of Singapore||2008 – Present|
|•||Deputy Director (Research), NCIS||2018 – Present|
|•||Senior Consultant, Medical Oncology||2005 – Present|
|•||Head and Senior Consultant, Department of Haematology-Oncology, NUHS||2008 – 2017|
|•||Consultant, Medical Oncology||2000 – 2005|
|•||Associate Consultant, Medical Oncology||1999 – 1999|
|•||Senior registrar, Medical Oncology||1998 – 1999|
|•||Visiting fellow, Clinical Pharmacology, Medical Oncology, Head and Neck Oncology, Thoracic Oncology, University of Chicago||1997 – 1998|
|•||Registrar, Medical Oncology||1995 – 1997|
|•||Resident, Emergency (Specialist), National University Hospital||1994 – 1995|
|•||Resident, General Medicine (Specialist) Neurology, Tan Tock Seng Hospital||1994|
|•||Resident, Medical Oncology (Specialist), Singapore General Hospital||1993 – 1994|
|•||Resident, General Medicine, Rheumatology, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore||1992 – 1993|
|•||Medical Officer (doctrine/training), Singapore Armed Forces, Secretary of Advanced Trauma Life Support Course committee responsible for bringing the first ATLS course to Singapore.||1990 – 1992|
|•||Intern, General Medicine, Obstetric and Gynecology, Surgery, National University Hospital||1989 – 1990|
PhD Senior Research Scientist
PhD Senior Research Scientist
He has specific expertise in the fields of pharmacokinetics, cancer biomarkers and combination therapeutics against cancer.
Development and application of mass spectrometry (MS)-based proteomics approaches in the discovery of systemic exosome-derived cancer biomarkers.
KONG Li Ren
Understanding mechanisms to chemoresistance and exploring novel therapeutic strategies in squamous cell carcinoma.
Pre-clinical analysis to check the effect of STAT3 inhibitor on tumor cells.
EU Jie Qing
Finding combination therapies on the treatment of oncogene-addicted cancer cells.
Nur Afiqah Binte MOHAMED SALLEH
Understanding the role of MET mutation in squamous cell carcinoma.
Win Lwin THUYA
He possesses sound knowledge in biomedicine and has good experience in animal studies. His research is focused on exosome-derived cancer biomarker investigation.
Amelia Jieying LAU
Experienced in cell based assays such as drug sensitivity assay on cell viability, siRNA knockdown and pooled lentiviral shRNA library screen. Other skills include Western Blot, microarray, mouse work, bacteria culture and cloning.
TEO Jun Ting