Dr Ross Soo’s research interests are in lung cancer, nasopharyngeal cancer, and gastro-intestinal cancers and he also conducts research in the Cancer Therapeutics Research Group. He has been invited to speak and present his research findings in many international meetings and has written over 100 papers and abstracts.
Worldwide and in Singapore, lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths. There is emerging epidemiologic and molecular evidence to suggest inter-ethnic differences in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) biology. In particular, an emerging trend of increasing incidence of pulmonary adenocarcinomas – a disease seen predominantly in non-smokers and women and its association with EGFR mutations. This group of patients has recently been recognized to have a different disease course compared to male smokers with lung cancers, and will account for an increasing proportion of all lung cancer patients in the future. We aim to improve patient outcome through a greater understanding of NSCLC tumor biology and by better patient treatment selection and identification of new drug targets by profiling of novel tumor biomarkers. Current projects in the laboratory include evaluating the role of hormonal factors in the development of lung cancers in non-smoking women, overcoming EGFR resistance by modulating the EGFR signaling pathway (studies led by Dr Chin Tan Min), the characterization of novel oncogenes and tumor suppressors in Asian NSCLC and the detection and characterization of circulating tumor cells.
- Kim HR, Kim DJ, Kang DR, Lee JG, Lim SM, Lee CY, Rha SY, Bae MK, Lee YJ, Kim SH, Ha SJ, Soo RA, Chung KY, Kim JH, Lee JH, Shim HS, Cho BC. Fibroblast Growth Factor Receptor 1 Gene Amplification Is Associated With Poor Survival and Cigarette Smoking Dosage in Patients With Resected Squamous Cell Lung Cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2012 Dec 10.
- Kua LF, Soo R, Lee SC, Mimura K, Kono K, Goh BC, Yong WP. UGT1A6 Polymorphisms Modulated Lung Cancer Risk in a Chinese Population. PLoS One. 2012;7(8):e42873
- Ng KP, Hillmer AM, Chuah CT, Juan WC, Ko TK, Teo AS, Ariyaratne PN, Takahashi N, Sawada K, Fei Y, Soh S, Lee WH, Huang JW, Allen JC Jr, Woo XY, Nagarajan N, Kumar V, Thalamuthu A, Poh WT, Ang AL, Mya HT, How GF, Yang LY, Koh LP, Chowbay B, Chang CT, Nadarajan VS, Chng WJ, Than H, Lim LC, Goh YT, Zhang S, Poh D, Tan P, Seet JE, Ang MK, Chau NM, Ng QS, Tan DS, Soda M, Isobe K, Nöthen MM, Wong TY, Shahab A, Ruan X, Cacheux-Rataboul V, Sung WK, Tan EH, Yatabe Y, Mano H, Soo RA, Chin TM, Lim WT, Ruan Y, Ong ST. A common BIM deletion polymorphism mediates intrinsic resistance and inferior responses to tyrosine kinase inhibitors in cancer. Nat Med. 2012 Mar 18;18(4):521-8
- WC Zhang, Ng SC, H Yang, A Rai, S Umashankar, S Ma, BS Soh, LL Sun, BC Tai, ME Nga, KK Bhakoo, SR Jayapal, M Nichane, Q Yu, DA Ahmed, C Tan, Wong PS, J Tam, A Thirugananam, MS Noghabi, YH Pang, HS Ang, P Robson, P Kaldis, RA Soo, S Swarup, EH Lim, B Lim. Glycine decarboxylase is a metabolic oncogene critical for lung cancer initiating cells and tumorigenesis. Cell 2012 Jan 20;148(1-2):259-72
- Yong WP, Goh BC, Soo RA, Toh HC, Ethirajulu K, Wood J, Novotny-Diermayr V, Lee SC, Yeo WL, Chan D, Lim D, Seah E, Lim R, Zhu J. Phase I and pharmacodynamic study of an orally administered novel inhibitor of histone deacetylases, SB939, in patients with refractory solid malignancies. Ann Oncol. 2011 Mar 8
- RA Soo, BO Anderson, BC Cho, CH Yang, M Liao, WT Lim, P Goldstraw, TS Mok. First line systemic treatment of advanced stage non-small cell lung cancer: Consensus statement from the Asian Oncology Summit 2009. Lancet Oncol. 2009 Nov;10(11):1102-10
- CI Wong, TS Koh, R Soo, S Hartono, CH Thng, E McKeegan, WP Yong, CS Chen, SC Lee, J Wong, R Lim, N Sukri, SE Lim, AB Ong, J Steinberg, N Gupta, R Pradhan, R Humerickhouse, BC Goh. Phase I and biomarker study of ABT-869, a multiple receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor, in patients with refractory solid malignancies. J Clin Oncol 2009 Oct 1;27(28):4718-26.
- Hsieh WS, Soo R, Peh BK, Loh T, Dong D, Soh D, Wong LS, Green S, Chiao J, Cui CY, Lai YF, Lee SC, Mow B, Soong R, Salto-Tellez M, Goh BC. Pharmacodynamic effects of seliciclib, an orally administered cell cycle modulator, in undifferentiated nasopharyngeal cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2009 Feb 15;15(4):1435-42.
- Soo RA, Wu J, Aggarwal A, Tao Q, Hsieh W, Putti T, Tan KB, Low JS, Lai YF, Mow B, Hsu S, Loh KS, Tan L, Tan P, Goh BC. Celecoxib reduces microvessel density in patients treated with nasopharyngeal carcinoma and induces changes in gene expression. Ann Oncol. 2006 Nov;17(11):1625-30
- Soo RA, Tham LS, Wang LZ, Peng YW, Boyer M, Lim HL, Lee HS, Millward M, Liang S, Beale P, Lee SC, Goh BC. A Multicenter Randomized Phase II Study Of Carboplatin In Combination With Gemcitabine At Standard Rate Or Fixed Dose Rate Infusion In Patients With Advanced Stage Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer. Ann Oncol 2006; 17:1128-33
|Affiliations||Principal Investigator, Cancer Science Institute of Singapore, NUS
NUS Senior Consultant, Department of Haematology-Oncology, NUH
|Institute||Degree (if applicable)||Year(s)|
|Monash University, Melbourne, Australia||MB BS||1989|
|Royal Australasian College of Physicians, Australia||FRACP||1999|
|Academy of Medicine, Singapore||FAMS||2003|
|•||Principal Investigator, Cancer Science Institute of Singapore, National University of Singapore||2009 – Present|
|•||Senior Consultant, Department of Haematology-Oncology, National University Hospital||2009 – Present|
|•||Adjunct Senior Research Fellow, Cancer Science Institute, Singapore||2009 – Present|
|•||Visiting Consultant, Alexandra Hospital||2000 – Present|
CHIN Tan Min
A majority of NSCLC patients carrying EGFR mutations will eventually develop acquired resistance to EGFR-TKIs. This remains a significant barrier which severely limits EGFR-TKIs efficacy in the management of patients. Our research primarily focuses on the identification and subsequently elucidating mechanisms of acquired resistance to EGFR-TKIs in NSCLC.
To identify genes/pathways conferring acquired resistance in NSCLC. Currently working with Dr Chin Tan Min on the above project.
Nur Lina MOHD SALLEH
Senior Laboratory Executive